Hey beauties. Can you believe Thanksgiving is tomorrow? Whew, this year went pretty fast!
And no thanksgiving meal is complete without cranberry sauce. Or in this case, Orange Cranberry Compote. I’ll admit, growing up we had the canned jelly stuff that just flopped on the plate. And I actually enjoyed it, EWW! I assumed that was the only way to have it. As an adult I still can’t believe we actually served that mess. My aunties will say it was just for convenience, but I’m not sure I believe that. This dish can literally be made in minutes and it tastes so much better.
So that you don’t leave out the forgotten star this Thanksgiving, here’s a quick recipe for you beauties!
Orange Cranberry Compote
1 12oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
2/3 c. orange juice
¼ c. water
½ c. white sugar (add more if you like sweet)
½ c. brown sugar (add more if you like really sweet)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
zest of 1 orange
Ground Cinnamon or Cinnamon Stick
- Over medium high heat in a medium saucepan, dissolve sugars in orange juice and water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in vanilla, pinch of salt, and cranberries. Bring back to a boil. (be careful the cranberries will pop and splatter)
- Grate the zest of 1 orange and add to the pot.
- Lower heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Once done, serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
**Add in optional spices with Step 2.
Written by Dani Montague