People all over the world are obsessed with selfies, including me! Studies show that one in 14 people are now on Instagram and the app claims to have 500 million users. Social media has put a whole new twist on the pressure to look good in photos. Our faces are now on constant display for our friends and family. So how can we put our best “Face” out there and take the perfect selfie?!
Dr. Jeffrey Spiegel, world-renowned facial plastic surgeon, offers these tips to “put your best face forward” in photos.
- Women should look up slightly towards the camera as it will make your eyes larger, and raise your eyebrows creating the attractive look of large eyes
- Men should protrude your chin slightly. This creates a strong face and eliminates a double chin.
- For men and women, slightly lean your neck towards the camera.
- For Women – a minute before your photo, tap on your lips a few times (somewhat stronger than you’d think!). This will send blood to your lips making them redder and fuller – both considered very attractive. Similarly, you can pinch your cheeks a few times to get a little bit of a rosy glow.
- Stand at an angle to the camera. This creates a slimmer body profile, and adds some interest to the photograph. Also, try slightly lowering the shoulder towards the camera. This will relatively elongate your neck and slim it out.
- Blink just before the camera goes off. That is, if they are counting to three to shoot, blink deliberately on two. This will help guarantee that your eyes are not closed during the picture, and importantly, will get you with the most open and bright eyes – and remember, bright eyes are critical to looking good.
- Smile with your eyes! A fake smile is just your mouth. A true smile is when your whole face is laughing. Think about sending energy to your eyes or smiling with your eyes, and your beauty will shine into the photograph.
- Be relaxed. Think about relaxing your face and trying to convey that to the camera. And, consider botulinum toxin treatment (e.g. botox or dysport). They’ve been shown to not only relax wrinkles, but to actually improve your mood and help you to feel more relaxed and confident. That emotional change will show in your photos.